Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Elections and thanks

The suspense before the results of the elections were announced on Saturday was harrowing. At 7 o'clock in the evening, I and my mother rushed back from one utama where we just had Carl's Junior for dinner. I was feeling stuffed and excited. Just the day before I was reminding everyone at the office and all the teachers in school to vote for the opposition. The outcome of the election would be intensely important to us the coming 5 years. Would the bloated, self righteous, arrogant, racist and burn-alive-able, idiotic, money wasting party win again or would someone else be given a chance. We were all very, very excited. The air was charged with the electricity of anticipation. 7 30 came and it started to rain, later this would be said to be a foreshadowing of the outcome for the losing parties. Unfortunately for us at home it was a present-shadowing of astro-shut-downess. We stared at the blank tv for about 15 minutes, waiting for it to come back on before we realised that we could watch rtm from normal tv without astro. 8 o clock came and still the results weren't released yet. Then, Zhen Chien called me all excited. It was all over in Penang, he said. The DAP had won everything. I was sceptical as nothing had been announced on tv yet so I brushed it off as a rumour. The DAP couldn't have won that big. We waited and waited until we couldn't wait anymore. My father was all "grrrrr!". He went and turned on malaysiakini and found that the results were rolling in thick and fast there. Apparently, there was a major media block going on. I think they were afraid of releasing the results because the Barisan party was losing tremendously. As the night wore on, results treakling in would seal the fate of Barisan Nasional in 5 states. Kedah, Kelantan, Perak, Penang and Selangor had been won by the opposition and Barisan had lost its two thirds majority. My mother who was on a diet immediately asked me to go bring up the Bailey's to celebrate. It was 12 o clock. We had all broken our diets and the media still had yet to release the devastating results. I think they were afraid that riots would break out and the Barisan supporters would take to the streets again to kill chinese people. At about 2 the media finally began airing the results. The people on tv looked shocked and blindsided. They did not expect that Barisan would lose so terribly and that the voters would be so punishing but what would you have expected the results to be after the government spent billions of ringgit to send one idiotic malay into space to play gasing, raised prices of goods sky high, desecrated an indian temple and insulted all the chinese people in malaysia? I think they deserved it and that they had it coming.

I went to church the next day as it was Sunday to thank god for the wonderful thing that had happened. The country has entered a new era of democracy. I felt very happy. It was then that I had an epiphany. I wanted to do something to show my appreciation to the powers that be for helping. I wanted to do something for the greater good and today I found my chance in the blood donation drive at college. I went to the cafeteria during break and filled out the questionare, had a blood test (they pricked my finger with a needle! It didn't hurt much though. - Proof that I am manly) and found that my blood type is A. I was quite dissappointed as I wanted to be AB. Hee hee, I am so selfish. The nurse asked me to eat first, so I had a free kaya bun and some milo and then they hooked me up to this packet and gave me a plastic tube to squeeze on. This girl next to me told me that if I kept squeezing the tube the blood would flow faster and this made me excited to try doing that. So I squeezed and squeezed and squeezed and the blood filled the packet really really fast and I was all "Wow!". In the end they took about 350ml of my blood I think. I felt woozy after that and had more kaya bun and milo. I practically had my lunch there haha! But it was fun and cool as I got to see what my blood actually looks like in large amounts and not in small quantities like when you pick at an scab and it starts to bleed or something. This was huger. There was a huge packet of it and it was warm and weird. I'm glad that I got to give thanks in my own special way though. It feels really good and warm like my blood. I feel like Jesus actually "This is my blood which will be shared for you and for all so that sins may be forgiven..." haha! I can't believe I remember that from mass!

Ps: Su Ann, I am really happy with the election results as you can tell. Sorry I didn't message you back, no credit again. It turns out I haven't changed much after all... Tee hee!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you're happy with the results of the elections. i am too.. all of us were super surprised and shocked okay. it was weird.

i went to church on sunday, and there was this guy who was using the m'sian flag as a bandana okay.. that was how happy people were..

anyways, i got my internet, so can you get skype or come online so we can bitch?

hate you!
xxoo

Ann said...

hahahha.. i know right!! i'm so proud of myself mann! :P

okay, well i'm living in the suburbs, so it'll always be cheaper to stay in the suburbs la just saying.. i'm renting a dbl story town house with my cousin and her friend.

it's 3 bedroom, and the rent monthly is $1430. i got the master bedroom and so i pay $573 a month.

now if you're gonna live in the city, it'll definately be more expensive okay? so this is just like a rough amount la. lol

i'll post it in the next entry laaarrr. :P you also nvr post up any pictures at all! post la some!