Wednesday, February 20, 2008

RASUAH!!!!

Yesterday, my auntie (Ps Su Ann: this is the auntie your mum isn't very fond of) called me in the middle of chemistry lab period to ask me to go for this AIA talk. I was half way through titration and I was reaching the end point when my pocket started to vibrate and then Britney Spears' "Piece Of Me" came on. I was like "SHIT!!!' and loosened the burette tap too much. The chemical started pouring out of the nozzle. I didn't know what to do. I was torn between picking up the phone and turning off the stream of disaster spouting from the equipment. I picked up the phone, then I reached for the burette. Just then the solution I was titrating turned pink. I was like "AAAAAAAAAAAH!". Then it turned dark pink, and I knew that it was too late to save the failed experiment. The sodium hydroxide in the burette was running into the now syruppy substance and I stared dismayed. The auntie asked me over the phone as I stepped out of the lab that I was to meet her at her house at 6 and she would take me and her son to the AIA office where the talk was being held. I said "Sure!"

At 5.30 I made my way to the auntie's house. It was somewhere in Damansara Utama. I thought I knew where it was, but I was wrong... It wasn't where I thought it was so, I drove around DU for about an hour until I remembered where it was. It turns out it was at the opposite end of where I was looking, near the kindergarten. The area was horribly jammed up at the time and I was pretty frustrated by the time I got to her house. I was really late but when I told her that I had gotten lost she laughed.

By the time we got to the AIA building I had made friends with the aunties son and he invited me to go rock climbing. We went upstairs and after we parked the car and there were refreshments prepared for us. I being the greedy person that I was at a whole lot and broke my diet plan of the day which was supposed to be less than 1000 calories by eating 4 pieces of cake and 3 curry puffs (I am such a pig). The talk wasn't anything I hadn't heard before. It was this introductory talk for people about to take the insurance exam. I talked to this malay girl and from UITM and she asked me to do this survey about some islamic insurance company that I can't remember the name of. I also talked to these other two chinese girls who were agents themselves and they said that I had the makings of a good agent. I was like "Good!" since insurance is my back up plan if engineering doesn't work out for me in the end. After the talk my auntie drove us back to her place where I had parked my car before that.

I drove off to Taman Tun after that to pay my salsa class fees on the count of the instructors have this thing about paying their fees late and I had forgotten to pay them on Sunday (the day I was supposed to pay) and they called me. After I payed, I drove back. This is where the RASUAH incident begins. You see, near the Secret Recipe there is this traffic light where people usually make illegal U turns so they don't have to drive really far to make a legal one. It was dark and I didn't see the bunch of police squad cars at the other side of the road. Before I knew it had made the U turn and a police man was flagging me down. I was like "Great!".

I was really nervous. I didn't know what to do and I wound down the wrong window. I quickly corrected my error and I and the police man had a conversation that went sort of like this:

Me: Hi, ada masalah?
police: Awak buat illegal U turn.
Me: Ya kah? So sekarang macam mana? (sad and confused look)
police: I bagi awak saman la!(laughs)
Me: Ok... (I was thinking "OH SHIT!!!!" at this moment)
police: Awak benar nak saman?
Me: Jika saman, I perlu bayar berapa?
police: RM250 atau 300
Me: Oh (I also thought "OH SHIT!!!!!" at this point)
police: So awak benar nak saman?
Me: Bagilah (sad)
police: Benar?
Me: (getting the message) Jika tak saman macam mana?
police: Awak fikirlah! (laughing)

Honestly he sounded like a nice guy. He was very jovial and not rude or mean.

Me: Oh! Bang nak berapa? (lifting up wallet)
police: Janganlah tunjuk tunjuk macam tu!
Me: Sorry... I tak ada banyak wang la sekarang. I student sahaja
police: bagilah apa yang awak ada

I handed him an RM10 note and showed him the rest of my empty wallet. He took it and pretended to write something on a pad and then he let me go. This was the first time I bribed a police man. My mother laughed when I told her and said that I was lucky that I got away with paying such a small sum. I am thankful.

No comments: